I’ve been trying to come up with interesting new keto recipes but it’s tough when you end up happily eating the same 8 meals over and over again. I started thinking about how much I miss eating taco pizza, only to realize there is no reason why I can’t make it keto or at least low carb.
There is really nothing stopping me from experimenting with recipes to make them low carb so that is exactly what I did. I set out to use fat head dough and Maria’s Paleo Refried Beans Recipe. I usually make a large batch of these “beans” and store them in the freezer. One thing I will say about the recipe, these are a fabulous substitution for refried beans but you must make sure you are using FEMALE EGGPLANTS! If you use male eggplants your beans will come out sweet. This is very important if you don’t want sweet beans.
I made this one evening we were having friends over and they really enjoyed it! They loved the “beans”. Sooooo go ahead and make this excellent pizza and devour the entire thing!
Low Carb Taco Pizza
Makes 8 servings
- 6oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3oz almond flour
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg
- pinch salt
- 1/2 Recipe Maria’s Paleo Refried Beans
- 8 oz ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
- 6 oz shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Olives (optional)
- With your stone in the oven preheat to 400F Degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl mix almond flour, xantham gum, mozzarella, and cream cheese. Heat on high for 1 minute and stir. Keep heating in 30 second intervals until it’s smooth and gooey.
- Add in the 1 egg, & salt and mix well. Use your elbow grease, this part will be tough. Make sure everything is incorporated.
- Transfer your dough ball to a large piece of parchment & place another piece of parchment on top. This will help your rolling pin not stick to the dough.
- Roll out to desired size and curl up the edges for a crust. Transfer dough (still on parchment) to the pizza stone.
- With a fork, make a few holes in the dough to ensure even cooking.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the crust is a little brown on bottom.
- Pull out of the oven and top with “beans, taco meat and pepperjack cheese.
- Brush the crust with egg wash and return to oven. Bake until the toppings are bubbly. Another 8-10 minutes should be good.
- Wait about 3 minutes and top with shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes. The dough will hold up a bit better when its slightly cooled.
I put the nutrition info into Myfitnesspal and this is what I came up with:
Makes 8 servings: Cals: 385, Fat: 28g, Net Carbs: 6g, Protein: 23g